Friday, December 13, 2013

Muley Graves & his philosophy: Chapter 6



"What I mean, if a fella's got somepin to eat an' another fella's hungry--why the first fella ain't got no choice [but to share]." (6)


What do these words indicate about the philosophy or values of Muley Graves?


What about this one?

"Cause what'd they take when they tractored the folks off the lan'?  What'd they get so their 'margin a profit' was safe?  They got Pa dyin' on the groun', and Joe yellin' his first breath, an' me jerkin' like a billy goat under a bush at night.  What'd they get?  God knows the lan' ain't no good. Nobody been able to make a crop for years.  But thems son-a-bitches at their desks, they jus' chopped folks in two for their margin a profit.  They jus' cut 'em in two.  Place where folks live is them folks.  They ain't whole, out lonely on the road in a piled up car.  They ain't alive no more.  Them sons-a-bitches killed 'em."


What about Tom Joad?


"You're talkin' sense...Ever' word you say is sense.  But, Jesus, I hate to get pushed around!  I lots rather take a sock at Willy." 


"No, I jus' tended to my own affairs...If you done somepin you was ashamed of, you might think about that.  But, hell, if I seen Herb Turnbull comin' for me with a knife right now, I'd squash him down with a shovel again."

Or Casey?


"Don't do it...It won't do no good.  Jus' a waste.  We got to get thinkin' about doin' stuff that means somepin."

"...maybe there's a place for a preacher.  Maybe I can preach again.  Folks out lonely on the road, folks with no lan', no home to go to.  They got to have some kind of home.  Maybe...."

No comments:

Post a Comment