Sunday, March 2, 2014

"Spectroscopic Gayety" and Gatsby's Parties

The Great Gatsby: 

"Instead of rambling this party had preserved a dignified homogeneity, and assumed to itself the function of representing the staid nobilty of the countryside--East Egg condescending to West Egg, and carefully on guard against its spectroscopic gayety."

                                spectroscopic: radiated energy, visible light dispersed through a wavelength

Journal Warm-up: Review 1 & 2

Contrast the Buchanan evening with the New York party.

Close Reading


You will be assigned a number up to 9 today. Reread the passage marked below and fill out the "close reading" handout.  Then share with the other classmates who share the same number as you.  At the end of class, I would like you to share your best assertion with the class and/or turn it in to me.

Here are the passages for our close reading group practice for chapters 3 & 4:

Chp 3:

#1: "There was music from my neighbor's house through the summer nights...." to "The party has begun." (paragraphs 1-6)

#2: "'Let's get out,' whispered Jordan..."  to "We shook hands with him gravely and went back outside." (paragraphs 38-58)

#3: "I was still with Jordan Baker" to "...and no singing quartets were formed with Gatsby's head for one link." (paragraphs 60-93)

#4:  "But as I walked down the steps I saw that the evening was not quite over..." to "...the figure of the host who stood on the porch his hand up in a formal gesture of farewell."

#5: "For a while I lost sight of Jordan Baker..."  to "I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known."

Chp 4:

#6: "On Sunday morning while church bells rang..." to "All these people came to Gatsby's house in the summer." (paragraphs 1-10)

#7: "At nine o'clock one morning late in July..." to "Even Gatsby could happen, without any particular wonder."

#8: "Roaring noon." to  "I turned toward Mr. Gatsby, but he was no longer there."

#9: "One October day in nineteen-seventeen---" to "Her wan scornful mouth smiled and so I drew her up again, closer, this time to my face."



No comments:

Post a Comment